Friday, February 16, 2007

What lies beneath (by Laura)

Ko Tao, an island on the east coast of the Thai peninsula, is world famous for its snorkelling and diving. The coves are rocky and small providing the perfect home for spectacular coral, fish and other marine life.

There is no shortage of trips making their way around the island and it's the perfect way to get your bearing of the beaches as well as sample what goes on just inches beneath the surface.

Putting on a mask and floating on the surface is entering another world. The colour of coral and the number and variety of fish is truly breathtaking.


Everyone is also great friends underwater - you smile and wave furiously at people who previously had just sat opposite you anonymously on the boat.

I floated for a while (for all I know five minutes or half an hour) above a coral reef called the Japanese gardens, in awe whilst fish of vibrant blues, purples and pinks approached me, stared in at the mask and then went on their way. As time went on, they were becoming more friendly, coming closer to me and I congratulated myself on my ability to remain so still and blend in so happily.

The next thing I knew, what I now consider to be the leader of an organised criminal underwater gang, shot up from the deep and nipped what I felt was a small chunk out of my lower lip.

The big cumbersome target, with truly shocking underwater freestyle, flapped clumsily to shore, thoroughly put in her place (see top). Not quite the little mermaid after all.



Laura

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home