Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Preparing to face the Aussies (by Joe)

With only a week to go before we leave Thailand and arrive in Australia I was delighted (and frankly, deeply relieved) to hear of the England cricket team's glorious victory in the one-day series finals against Australia.

Being deeply cricket-proud, after the 5 - 0 Ashes humiliation I was really (really) not looking forward to getting together with our highly competitive Antipodean cousins for what they would undoubtedly turn into an extended post ashes analysis. So, I'd been steeling myself and planning my lines:
"Great side Australia/ truly great players / how could any side compete/ the team of the era (etc etc)" ... I was going to say. Now I may say simply: "... we may not have kept the Ashes, but 'ave it, mate (and your best players are too old)."
The BBC website (great British institution - greater, I'm sure you'll agree, than Rupert's News International), said:
Following the 2 - 0 loss, Australia captain, Ricky Ponting said:
"We've let everybody down in the last couple of games, we've got work to do but we look forward to the World Cup."
That's right, Ricky. I'm feeling for you - honestly.
Joe
P.S I fully accept that for my personal security I need to calm down before I get to Oz.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home