Friday, February 09, 2007

Creepy-crawly crunchies (by Joe)

South East Asians sure do an interesting line in snack foods. Whilst Laura has the excuse of being vegetarian I have had to contrive a new rule of thumb to help me justify what I will and won’t eat.

Up until coming here I had only two - albeit longstanding - rules:

a) Don’t eat if it IF you don’t absolutely recognize - or can be otherwise sure of - what it is (this rule tends to exclude a lot of processed meat)

… and:

b) Don’t eat IF it looks like it may have had a reasonable sense of humour (this rule tends to exclude the majority of fish if they haven’t been headed)

South East Asia has forced me to add the new point of:

c) Don’t eat it IF it is just TOO creepy crawly.

At night markets, on street stalls and at bus stations all across south East Asia, we’ve seen some remarkable snacks for sale.


Deep fried tarantula (see top and left), a bag of locusts; ... would you like your salted beetles wrapped or open, sir?

I imagine they may well all be satisfyingly crunchy on the outside with delicious soft centres – but not for me, thanks.


No, really, no thanks.

Joe

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home