Tuesday, October 03, 2006

'Farewell' work! (by Joe)

So, its my final week at work - and I'm feeling dangerously de-mob happy - so much so I need to keep checking myself so as not to burn any bridges! Thought I’d put down a few words re my work colleagues.

A job, inevitably, is a big part of your life. So I'm lucky it's been so good
: pay is reasonable, issues interesting, hours flexible and benefits exceptional (friends are in awe when I mention that the job comes with a gym in the basement and sessions with a personal trainer).

The organisation is run through joint decision-making by the directors. I’ve learned an immense amount from being a director – about relationships, about management, about getting the best of existing resources as a preferable alternative to demanding more, and about creating a ‘winning’ culture, which is also humane.

I’ve also learned that once you join an organisation’s management team, colleagues inevitably start to view you differently – and not always favourably. It’s a good thing to move on and up, but there is sh*t that goes with it … and to handle that you simply have to decide what is important, what is not and ‘be big’.


I’ve grown up a great deal since I arrived 7 years ago. Thanks particularly to Malcolm, to Ian, as well as to Debbie, Bob and everyone else I’ve worked with.

It’s been fun and it’s been a great place to learn and develop. 7 years is a long time, but I reckon it’s been time well spent.

Joe

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home